Analytics Dashboard

Design Process Overview

Deliverable: Wireframes
Programs: Axure RP 8, Sketch

The Problem

The Ingenious Med application stands out amongst its competitors because of its depth of physician and practice analytics. These analytics, however, are hidden in a separate application that is hard to find. The goal with this project was to enhance the visibility of the analytics offered by means of persona specific dashboards embedded in the main application.

img01

Discovery

I worked with Product Management (PM) to get a preliminary list of meaningful KPIs which I then inserted into a dashboard mockup. I built the mockup using existing elements from our design system in order to maintain consistency and speed up the design process. I interviewed several users, asking them if and how they use data to help them in their roles, and then asked if the dashboard I made would be helpful at all. The consensus was overwhelmingly positive that a dashboard would help, but that this wasn’t the one. I took note of which KPIs they thought unhelpful and which they thought were missing, and I wrote up a report to present back to PM.

img01

Design

The ownership of this project shifted and so did the direction. I began working more hand-in-hand with our Business Intelligence (BI) team in order to understand design feasibility in the system they use (MicroStrategy). I designed and iterated on several dashboards, incorporating the feedback I received last year as well as continued feedback from stakeholders this year. I took the new and improved designs in front of the Product Advisory Council (PAC - essentially just a few users who are interested in giving continued feedback), and I learned more about how they would be using each specific tile as several different user types. This process continued until we had a feasible, useful solution for our primary persona - Hospitalists.

PM insisted on having two persona specific dashboards at initial rollout, so the process began again with the Administrator persona. The process was infinitely smoother the second time around. I learned the system in which development made the dashboards, and I was able to develop the dashboard myself in the same amount of time it would have taken me to design it in Sketch (with the added benefit that I KNEW it was feasible because it was already built). However, before even beginning to design the admin dashboard, I had a team of product, development, and stakeholders collectively fill out a requirements spreadsheet. The sheet told me which KPIs to include, what visualizations to use, and the purpose for each. I took the fully agreed upon requirements and built a beautiful front-end that appeased everyone the first time around.

img01 img01
img01