MedShare Donation Locator

Design Process Overview

Deliverable: Mobile application for iOS and Android
Programs: Adobe Experience Design, XCode, Android Studio

1

We applied for the MedShare Donation Barrel Locator Application project and received it. We began communication with our client. Through this communication, we sought to gain a better understanding of who was going to be using this application and for what reasons they wanted it.

2

Once we felt like we understood what this application's purpose was, we began developing user stories. These small statements helped us hone in on the processes that users would want to accomplish using this application.

3

From our user stories, we then generated three distinct user personas and scenarios in which those personas would want to use this application. Our scenarios were specific to each individual persona's personality and occupation.

4

With our product's purpose in mind, we then set out to design a product that would fulfil all the necessary roles. We began with a paper prototype. Simple sketches of various layouts led us to a tabbed system.

5

We then moved to a high-fidelity prototype in Adobe XD. As the UI/UX head for the team, I created the prototype. Check out the prototype here.

6

With this new prototype, we set out for user-testing. Our users were students we were pre-med and/or had volunteered in a hospital. Feel free to check out any of the following:

7

After user testing and generating our UX test report, we found some errors in our design as well as some successes. We fixed the errors in our prototype and ran it by our client. They liked the concept, so we saw it fit to move on to development. Our client requested that we test our concept with nurses in a hospital that MedShare works with. We made plans to do that in early February with a working version of the application.

8

Once in development, we designed our first sprint to give us a working version of our layout. After the first sprint, we made good on our promise to test on actual nurses. We conducted less formal user tests on a group of nurses who were on duty. They had gathered briefly to hear our client give a presentation on how to use a MedShare donation barrel that they were bringing in that day, so we tagged along. These user tests gave us feedback on what the nurses (our primary user group) actually wanted in the application. We made modifications and added an entirely new section because of these tests.

9

The rest of the process is development based, but we definitely had more design challenges to come. Most notably was the challenge of a database management interface that would only be seen by two people but had more screens and actions than the rest of the application. Though there were many challenges, we are proud of the application we were able to create.

img01